Neck, Shoulder & Arm Pain
Neck pain or cervicalgia is rapidly becoming even more common in the last 15 years with at least 80% of the population suffering episodes of severe neck pain.
The lower neck and upper back joints and muscles support your head and it is here that neck pain starts. Neck pain may include the whole structure of the neck: bones (vertebrae), the discs between the bones, muscles and ligaments.If your neck pain involves nerves, you can feel numbness, weakness or tingling as well as pain in your shoulder, arm or hand.
Neck pain, often with referred shoulder and arm and hand pain, can be caused by injury, trauma, anxiety, stress, awkward sleeping positions, herniated discs. whiplash, muscle strain or tension. Now everyone is suffering terrible neck posture on mobile phones, hand-held devices and computer keyboards.
Sayer Clinics' simple solution is to TALK using voice recognition on your mobile phone or tablet which necessarily means you hold the device to your mouth which means you raise your head and automatically improve your neck posture. You don't need to spend hours typing or texting with your neck arched forwards for hours every day when you can just say it with perfect posture. We keep telling everybody TALK...DON'T TEXT
How to prevent neck pain:
- Learn safe stretching exercises for your neck and upper body. Sayer Clinics physical therapists will intelligently teach you specific exercises.
- If you work at a computer you should consult us for a postural examination and we will advise you how to sit properly, maintaining healthy posture. Advice from many ergonomists and so-called experts in health and safety is often incorrect. You need to sit the way we have perfected which is ideal for the neck and spine.
- Read our posture booklet and change your ergonomics and the future of your neck so when you're 70 or 90 you don't have disc degeneration with a miserably painful neck. Respect your future self that your old age is happy and pain-free. To save your neck and achieve good desk seated posture, start by reading our Sayer Clinics Posture Booklet with important and successful ergonomic advice.
- Sleeping: Reward yourself with a high-quality, sprung mattress which needs to be medium-firm to firm to support your lower back and pelvis comfortably, but ideally with a cotton sleeper to soften the surface. Your pillow needs to be soft enough to be comfortable but also to support your head and neck comfortably. We help you with our huge experience and impartial advice.
For minor causes of neck pain
- Give yourself a rest from your normal physical activity for a few days - this will help reduce inflammation and calm symptoms.
- Gently stretch the neck muscles doing slow range-of-motion exercises, side to side and up and down.
Sudden and intense ‘acute neck pain’ due to a locked facet joint or a trapped pinched nerve may result in protective muscle spasm and referred pain to the head, shoulder, upper middle-back (between the shoulder blades) or into the arm, depending on which nerve or muscles are inflamed.
There may be underlying problems such as slipped disc or bulging discs, osteoporosis (brittle bones), excessive curvature of the spine (scoliosis) and, very rarely, structural damage due to tumours or infection. Car accidents involving whiplash injury can result in acute or chronic neck pain which takes many months to improve with careful treatment. Pain lasting longer than three months is 'chronic neck pain'.
Sayer Clinics Diagnosis and Treatment
- Treatment only starts after a full patient history, physical examination, review of family and social histories and a thorough health check of the relevant body systems have been completed.
- Tests may include digital X-rays, CT or MRI scans, EMG, referral for laboratory blood and urine analysis and referral to a specialist depending on each individual patient
- Reducing pain, improving range of motion and restoring neck and back spinal function.
Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, Medical Acupuncture, Therapeutic Massage.
- Chiropractic - specific, gentle spinal manipulation to remobilise and rehabilitate spinal joint function and posture.
- Physical Therapy - laser, ultrasound, electrotherapy, massage, exercise and rehabilitation
- Medical Acupuncture and Therapeutic Massage helps cure chronic back, neck and shoulder pain
- Postural treatment and rehabilitation - Advice on ergonomic seating, sit / stand desks, screen height & position
- A combination of these various approaches varies from patient to patient. We always take into consideration your comfort, preferences and past experience as well as your response to treatment and observations made during the course of treatment.
- Manipulation of the cervical spine or neck region is a gentle and extremely specialised technique safely used by our highly trained expert and experienced Doctors of Chiropractic for patients complaining of neck, upper back, and shoulder/arm pain, as well as headaches.
- Chiropractic is considered the first choice treatment for a range of cervical spine conditions as well as many conditions affecting the lower back.
- Chiropractors also use adjunctive therapy to treat cervical spine complaints. These include massage, therapeutic heat and/or cold application and gentle stretching and strengthening exercises.
Danger signs: If these symptoms occur, CALL 999 or seek urgent medical attention.
- neck pain of meningitis - rash develops but doesn't fade if pressed with a glass
- disc prolapse in the neck with loss of muscle power in arms or legs.
- sensitivity to light - photophobia, severe headache or intense pain behind eye.
- neck pain from recent head injury with drowsiness, confusion or vomiting.
- neck pain with severe headache, fever or continuous vomiting.
- disturbances of vision, hearing, taste or balance.
- severe pain on neck forward flexion.
- Chiropractor Chris Berlingieri is Sayer Clinics' senior xray and neck pain treatment specialist. You may consult him at Sayer Clinics: Kensington W8 and Welbeck Street, W1.
- Dr Chris is experienced in computed digital x-ray analysis, diagnosis and functional rehabilitation of the joints of the cervical, thoraco-dorsal spine and shoulders and surrounding.
- Our highly qualified health practitioners diagnose using neurological and orthopaedic tests, postural and physical spinal examination and, if necessary, digital radiology and treat patients with safe and effective manipulation, physical therapy modalities and postural rehabilitation.We do not treat using drugs or surgery.
- Chris originally practiced in New York and has successfully given specialist neck, cervicogenic headache and shoulder pain treatment to a huge number of patients since 1994.
- Book online 24/7 here or email firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to Alexandra or Lucie on +44 (0)207 937 8978 8am to 8pm
- We are always here to help you.